IAY or Indira Awaas Yojana Full Guide
In the 1980’s India was facing a major problem of homelessness, a big chunk of the Indian population had no shelter to live in. To tackle this problem the Indian Government introduced a social welfare scheme named “Indira Awaas Yojana or IAY”. The aim was to provide financial aid for shelter to people who were financially weak and could not afford shelter to live. It was launched as a part of the Rural Landless Employment Guarantee Programme (RLEGP). RLEGP was a scheme initiated in 1983 with the aim of expanding employment opportunities for landless households. The census report of India 2011, stated that there were almost 1.77 million homeless people in the nation. Initially, the Ministry of Rural Development launched this scheme as one of their flagship schemes with the aim of building houses for the BPL population in villages. Further, it was extended to cover more and more population.
IAY scheme was further renamed or revamped to the PMAY which is Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana In April 2016 by the current ruling government of India. The government also added some new guidelines to make the scheme more effective and helpful for the people of the Nation. Irrespective of the newly added guidelines, the core aim remains the same which was providing financial aid to the people to built a shelter for them. There are now two categories under the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana which are Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Urban & Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin.
Check IAY Beneficiary list
To prepare the beneficiaries list there are specified authorities appointed by the government which takes care of the whole selection process of the beneficiaries. The Authorities keep regular track of the process to maintain transparency. SECC ( Socio-Economic and Caste Census ) data is used in the selection process for the first phase and then it is sent to Gram Sabhas to get the local verification done. After verifying, the assigned authorities create the final beneficiary list and upload it on the official portal. New IAY lists are no longer available as the IAY scheme is updated and renamed as the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana. Users can now check the PMAY list instead of the IAY list on the official portal of the Ministry of Rural Development. Users can check their names in the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana list online by following the step by step process given below.
There are two lists available on the official PMAY portal which are PMAY urban list and the rural list which is PMAYG. The process of checking both the lists is given below.
To check latest NREGA job card list or payments or to apply for Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act, Read this full guide.
To check Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana urban list
- Visit the official portal of the ministry of housing and urban affairs from here.
- Click on the search beneficiary option and under it search by name as shown in the image below
- A new page will open where you need to enter your Aadhaar number and click on the show button.
- After validation of your aadhaar number, the list will display on the screen.
To check Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Rural list ( PMAYG )
- Visit the official PRADHAN MANTRI AWAAS YOJANA-GRAMIN portal from here
- Click on the stakeholder’s option and under it click on the IAY/PMAY beneficiary option as shown in the image below.
- Now on this new page fill in your registration number and click on the submit button to get the list. In case you don’t have the registration nuimber then click on the advance search button as shown in the image below
- Now fill in all the details shown in the image below and click on the search button.
Applications for Indira Awaas Yojana
People who want to avail the benefits of this housing scheme by the government will have to apply for the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana. New applicants can only apply for the PMAY and not IAY. There are both offline and online ways to apply for the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana and the recommended one is offline. For offline applications, applicants need to visit their nearby JAN SEVA KENDRA where they can apply for the scheme properly with the help of officials. Candidates who want to apply online for the scheme can follow the step by step process given below.
- Visit the official PMAY portal from here
- Click on citizen assessment under it apply online as shown in the image below.
After selecting the options accordingly a new page will open. Users need to fill in their Aadhaar number and name, then click on check.
HOW TO TRACK FUND TRANSFER ORDER OR FTO
- Visit the official web page of Indira Awaas Yojana that is “pmayg.nic.in”
- On the homepage, look for the option of “Awaassoft” in the main menu bar and scroll to it.
- From the drop-down that will appear, select the option of “FTO Tracking”
- A new page will open on the screen, wherein enter either your ‘FTO number’ or ‘PFMS Id’ and fill in the captcha code shown in the box.
- then finally click on submit, and the status of your fund transfer order will be displayed on the screen.
NOTE: The percentages of houses sanctioned by the government and the houses which are completed are available on the official web portal of PMAY state wise as mentioned above. You can check the list of the same by visiting the official website of PMAY or IAY.
Indira Awaas Yojana or Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana eligibility criteria
|1||If the applicant or his/her family member has a pucca house then they are not eligible for the scheme.|
|2||If the applicant or his/her family members has benefitted from any similar schemes in the past then they are no longer eligible for it.|
|3||The family income should not be more than 6 lakhs per annum for EWS/LIG CLSS, for MIG I it is 6 to 12 lakhs and for MIG II it is 12 to 18 lakhs per annum.|
|4||It is a must o have an adult female as a member for property ownership.|
List of required documents for IAY or PMAY application
|Identity proof ( Voter, Adhaar, Driving License, etc )|
|salary certificate for salaried people|
|Income proof and certificate|
|If the business owner then a financial statement|
Objectives of the Scheme
IAY was started with the aim of providing shelter to the financially backward section of the Nation and initially, it was projected to cover almost 1 crore families living in kutcha houses. Basic amenities like power supply, water supply, etc. We can’t say it has completely evicted the problem but it did improve the situation but still, there’s a long way to go. It also added to some employment opportunities and promoted the use of Eco-friendly material for construction.
|The financial aid was not used to be given in one go, there were specific stages of constructions according to which installments were released by the govt.|
|The ownership of Houses built under the IAY scheme is given to husband and wife, widows, divorced or unmarried beneficiaries in case of disabled beneficiary then he or she used to get the sole ownership.|
|Beneficiaries were responsible for the house construction and they were not permitted to hire agencies or contractors for the same.|