UAN | Universal Account Number Full Guide
UAN or the Universal Account Number basically is the membership ID that is given to you when you work in a private agency or in the organized sector which falls under EPFO i.e. Employees Provident Fund Organization. When your provident fund account is made and registered for, you are given your Universal Account Number which is a prerequisite in being able to access all the services related to employee provident fund online. The 12 digit number is your key to access services like checking your PF balance etc. which are now available online.
The Employees Provident Fund Organisation provides its members with the Universal Account Number which stays constant even if the job or position of the employee changes. On changing jobs, the employee does get a new member ID which then gets linked to the UAN of the employee
UAN Login process
- Visit the official website of EPFO (Employees Provident Fund Org) India here.
- On the Right side of the homepage, you will see a column of UAN login.
- fill in the login credentials required which will be your Universal Account Number and password, and then enter the captcha code before clicking on sign in.
In case you have not yet been able to activate your UAN account and do not possess a password, follow the simple steps given below to activate your account and log in to the portal.
How to get UAN password or activate your account on the EPFO?
You just need your EPFO member ID and your Universal Account Number with you to activate your account, follow the procedure given below-
- Visit the official member’s page of EPF India as mentioned above.
- on the homepage, below the login box on the right side you will see a link saying “Activate UAN” in the important links column.
- You will be redirected to the activation form page, wherein you will have to fill in the necessary details like your Aadhar number, PAN number etc.
- There will be an option to select how you want to get the authorization Pin, you can get it either on the basis of Aadhar number, Member ID, PAN number or Universal Account Number.
- Then fill in your name, Date of Birth, Mobile number, Email ID and the captcha code before clicking on ‘Get Authorization Pin”.
- You will then receive a verification OTP on your mobile number after entering which you will be provided with your UAN account password to login to your account on the portal of EPFO.
How to check your Universal Account Number?
You can check your Universal Account Number in numerous ways like –
- Your UAN is given to you by your Employer in the organization you work, the number is also printed on the salary slip you get from your office.
- To check your Universal Account Number from the official webpage of EPFO, follow the steps below-
- Visit the official EPFO portal from here.
- On the right side of the homepage in the column of important links, you will find a link saying “Know your UAN”.
- You will then be redirected to a page wherein you need to enter your mobile number and request an OTP.
- verify your account by entering the OTP received, then you will receive your password to be able to login to your UAN account on the portal.
How to get UAN Card ?
You can download your UAN card by following the steps below-
- Visit the official website of EPFO here
- login to your EPFO account on the official portal
- on the menu bar, scroll to “view” and select the option of UAN CARD from the dropdown that will appear.
- your UAN card will now appear on the screen, you can download your card easily from there.
- If you wish to check your UAN passbook, it can be viewed similarly as shown in the picture.
SOME POINTS TO NOTE-
- Settlement, withdrawal or transfer transactions of provident fund claim can now be done online for members who have their Aadhar cards and bank accounts authenticated with the Universal Account Number.
- Only 1 account of UAN can be made using 1 mobile number.
- Members/ employees can view their updated passbook anytime and download it from the portal.
- You can also update your KYC information on the official portal anytime.
Objectives and Benefits of the Universal Account Number
The Universal Account Number has many benefits to all the concerned parties, including the employer, employee and the government. Some of the benefits are –
- The EPFO can track if a member changes his/her Job through the Universal Account Number.
- The Universal Account Number makes it easy for the employees to access their provident fund through the official portal of EPFO
- It makes accessing information related to your PF on the official portal easy and smooth.
- The Universal Account Number of an employee stays constant whether the employer is the same or not, it doesn’t need re-verification.
- The employees can track the status of their payments through their UAN number on the official portal.
- It plays a key role in the maintenance of all information related to employees by the government.
You can visit the official portal of EPFO to know more about what the UAN has to offer.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can i get my UAN password?
To Know your Password you will have to activate your Universal Account Number on the portal of EPFO, You can do so by following the simple steps given above and get your password in minutes.
Can I withdraw PF online without Universal Account Number?
No, you cannot withdraw your provident fund online without the possession of your Universal Account Number. The online process required you to have your UAN present with you for easy accessibility to all facilities.
How can I check my EPF balance online?
To check your PF balance, login to your UAN account on the official portal of EPFO and go to the passbook option as discussed above. you csn check your balance and download your PF passbook from there.